Thursday, September 18, 2014

Disney Infinity 2.0 : Marvel Superheroes

Disney Infinity 2.0 : Marvel Superheroes
Disney Infinity 2.0 Rocket Raccoon

Disney Infinity 2.0 : Marvel Superheroes

My wife is a Disney fan, and for anyone who knows her, that’s a huge understatement. Naturally, in the Fall of 2013, Disney Infinity (1.0) was one of those games that was an inevitable purchase for our household. Although I was skeptical at first, I quickly found myself hooked on the creative Skylanders type gameplay utilizing familiar characters established throughout the Disney and Pixar Universe. Captain Jack Sparrow, Sully, Lightning McQueen and The Incredibles', Violet, quickly became my go to team as I made my way through the game's various play sets. However, the real excitement for me came with the announcement of Disney Infinity 2.0 : Marvel Superheroes, and I can’t wait to finally get my hands on the new installment early next week.


The initial bundle, which I purchased for the Xbox One, will arrive with the Disney Infinity 2.0 Game Disk, Character Portal (which brings the figures into the game), and three Avengers characters : Thor, Iron Man and Black Widow. I will also receive a bonus figure of my choosing with the purchase for pre-ordering the title, and after careful thought and consideration decided to bring Rocket Raccoon into the fold as well.


Disney Infinity 2.0 : Marvel Superheroes
Disney Infinity 2.0 Avengers Line-Up

The base game story as a whole is entirely focused on the Avengers, with additional characters such as Captain America, Hawkeye, Nick Fury and the Hulk available for purchase to increase your ranks and allow you to play (and geek out) as your favorite hero. In addition to the base gameplay, two additional expansion packs are also available, which open story-lines for Spider-Man and The Guardians of the Galaxy each with their own cast of characters.

Disney Infinity 2.0 : Marvel Superheroes
Disney Infinity 2.0 Expansion Set Characters
Although the Disney Infinity franchise is primarily focused toward the younger gamer, there are an incredible amount of challenges available for even the most seasoned player to throw a few controllers over. Collecting elusive orbs, web swinging challenges and race time trials await around every corner to unlock the best upgrades. For those willing to spend the cash, each storyline also features a vault of prizes that can only be opened by having every character in the game, which brings me to my next point …

This game will cost you money, much more so than the initial investment. Any fan of the Skylanders franchise can tell you that there’s no hiding the fact that the Pokèmon theory of “Gotta’ Catch ‘Em All” is in full swing for games like this - and it’s damn addicting. To the credit of the developers, the game itself CAN be completed utilizing only the three bundled characters without ever having to purchase an additional character or expansion. But seriously, where’s the fun in that? Let’s fight the New York Chitauri Invasion with Groot and pit Spider-Man against Loki!

Will the game perfect? Absolutely not, and I’m not expecting it. However, for a quick drop-in/drop-out title with a cast of growing Marvel characters and collectables? Count me in.

Until next time True Believers,

-ArchangelEZE

2 comments :

  1. I've got mine reserved for the Wii U as well as the Groot figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to get sucked into buying the GotG playset right off the bat. I have zero willpower when it comes to this stuff.

    ReplyDelete