Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Bronies: Misunderstood



My daughter and I share a love for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I know that I will probably receive a lot of flack for this, but I don’t care because I love this show and love that my daughter got me into it. I really do believe that this show is done really well and definitely a whole lot better than the original.
  

“A brony is a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic that is outside the target demographic of little girls. Most bronies are friendly teenagers and young adults that simply aren't afraid to admit to enjoying a show that is innocent, colorful, and funny. 

The latest rendition of My Little Pony is much different than the previous generations most people associate the title with. This show has a fresh, modern look, and tells fun stories that people of all ages can enjoy. Not to mention the show is amazingly well-made and showcases a massive amount of talent ranging from voice artists, to writers, to music composers, and much more.

What began as a simple internet meme has turned into a massive global fan base.” (whatisabrony.com)

What I have found really interesting is that Hasbro is adding characters that connect back to the geek community. There is Dr. Hooves, Daring Do (the MLP version of Indiana Jones), and the Power Ponies. There has been an episode where the “Mane 6” (Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, AppleJack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Fluttershy) and Spike (Twilight’s dragon sidekick/assistant) get sucked into an alternate “comic book” world as the Power Ponies (Ponies with super powers) to defeat a super villain.



The MLP voice cast are no strangers to the animated industry. Tara Strong, Twilight Sparkle, has also voiced for: The Fairly Odd Parents, Teen Titans Go, Ultimate Spider-man, Chowder, and many others. Ashleigh Ball, Apple Jack/Rainbow Dash, along with Andrea Libman, Pinkie Pie/Fluttershy, have lent their talent to Strawberry Shortcake and Dinosaur Train and several other popular shows as well. There has even been a guest voice appearance by Weird Al Yankovic who voiced Cheese Sandwich.



This is just a small glimpse of the My Little Pony universe that continues to expand. They are already expanding into graphic novels, chapter books, comic books, and stand alone straight to video features. All I ask of you is to give the show a chance and maybe one day you can proudly call yourself a brony.


- Da_Fettman

2 comments :

  1. Could you make this article at least 20% cooler?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright MLP fans and Bronies, my wife made Pinkie's Popped Candy Pinkcorn, check it out at Live, Laugh, Chicky.
    http://www.livelaughchicky.com/2014/08/20/pinkies-popped-candy-pinkcorn-2/

    ReplyDelete